Friday, September 18, 2009

Chicken Lime Basil Stir Fry

About a week ago, Saurou and I came into possession of some wonderful fresh herb plants. Sage, purple sage, thyme, basil, lime basil, curry, and oregano. I'm tellin' ya. Yum. Tonight was our first chance to try that amazing-smelling lime basil.

And let me tell you, that lime basil? It tastes as good as it smells. Maybe better.

We made a chicken lime basil stir-fry tonight, and it was so good that as soon as we finished it, we were both like, yeah I could totally eat that again tomorrow night for dinner. If you can get your hands on some lime basil, I suggest you do - it's really fresh and light and crisp tasting.

Anyway, here's the recipe. (Unfortunately, I didn't get a photograph of it. URK Sorry guys! Trust me. It pretty much looks like every other stir fry out there. Brown. Chickeny. Over rice. You know the deal.)

__


Chicken Lime Basil Stir Fry

Serves 2
Cooking time: About 30 mins, prep time included

*1 skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
*About 1/2 a small sweet onion, chopped
*About 1-2 tbsp sesame oil
*About one clove's worth of minced garlic
*Ginger to taste
*Salt and Black Pepper to taste
*About 1/4c light soy sauce
*Dash sugar
*Dash flour (to thicken)
*About 1 tbsp fresh lime basil, chopped
*White sesame seeds to taste
*White rice and edamame to serve

In a large pan, heat the sesame oil. Sautee the onions with salt and pepper to taste, until just starting to caramelize. Add the chicken, sprinkle with ginger to taste (my taste tends to be about 1 tsp or more- I think the ginger really compliments the soy sauce and the basil) and black pepper (I also tend to be somewhat generous with the black pepper) and the garlic. Let that cook for a while, stirring constantly. When it looks almost done, add the soy sauce (I'm guessing it was about 1/4 cup, but it was enough to saturate the chicken, with a little extra to make a sauce from), sugar and flour. Stir it all together until it starts to thicken. You could totally use corn-starch instead- I just couldn't find ours because I'm still getting used to our new kitchen, so I went with flour. When the mixture is thick and the chicken is done, sprinkle with the lime basil and sesame seeds and mix until it's well combined. Serve it over white rice (or brown, if you have it. I wish we did.) and edamame on the side (it went fantastically).

Seriously guys. So good.

No comments: